Tired of lugging the laundry up and down the stairs every week? Install an electric dumbwaiter. Dumbwaiters act like small elevators, transporting items instead of people from one floor to another. These handy devices can be used for moving trash, groceries, meals, firewood, books, packages – you name it. Electric dumbwaiters come in a variety of standard sizes or can be customized to suit your needs. Weight capacities for standard residential units range from 50 to 500 pounds.
Standard electric dumbwaiter units begin at about $3,000 plus delivery and installation.
- Transports bulky and heavy items.
- Prevents disabling stairway falls.
- Requires less space than an elevator.
- Costs less than an elevator.
- Hire a designer to help select the best location and to blend the dumbwaiter into your home’s decor.
- When shopping, compare the warranties and inquire about repair service.
- Check with the local authorities regarding code compliance, installation requirements, and whether permits are required.
- Make certain the unit has a locking mechanism to keep children from playing with it.
- If you can’t afford an electric dumbwaiter, consider a manual one that uses a rope pulley.
Homecare Suppliers, LLC. (2005-2008). Ascent Dumbwaiter | Residential & Commercial-Grade Dumbwaiters. Retrieved March 8, 2010, from Homecare Suppliers, LLC, website:http://www.buyastairlift.com
Carolina Home Life, LLC. (2008). Dumbwaiters. Retrieved March 8, 2010, from Carolina Home Lift, LLC, website:http://www.carolinahomelift.com/dumbwaiters